1. Nikki Finke’s Unbelievable Nelson Mandela Tweet Inspires Hilarious #FinkeObits Hashtag
R.I.P. Nelson Mandela, subject of Weinstein Co’s Idris Elba-starrer 'Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom' which opened Nov 29 and has awards buzz.
— Nikki Finke (@NikkiFinke) December 5, 2013
2. Kenneth Cole's #Cairo Tweet Angers the Internet
3. Golf Channel Tweets Dumb Thing About Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" Speech
4. Gilbert Gottfried on Japan
5. Fox29 Anchor's Tweet Breaks Bad
Thought "Breaking Bad" was hot last Sunday? @FOX29philly See who's breakin' bad in SW Philly leavin' 6 people SHOT - Tonite at Ten!
— Joyce Evans (@JoyceEvansFox29) October 7, 2013
6. Watch: Kenneth Cole Stands by Controversial Syria Tweet
"Boots on the ground" or not, let's not forget about sandals, pumps and loafers. #Footwear
— Kenneth Cole (@KennethCole) September 5, 2013
1. How Banana Republic Cleverly Crashed Twitter's IPO Party
Tweet why u <3 @Twitter & tag w #ThanksTwitter. 5 lucky winners will receive a $100 @BananaRepublic shop card! #TWTR pic.twitter.com/qxq9T0BPuq
— Banana Republic (@BananaRepublic) November 7, 2013
2. Bertolli Makes the Most of Barilla Chairman's Anti-Gay Comments
3. Someone Give This Oreo Employee a Raise
Power out? No problem. pic.twitter.com/dnQ7pOgC
— Oreo Cookie (@Oreo) February 4, 2013
4. Ben & Jerry's Gets High Marks for Colorado Marijuana Tweet
BREAKING NEWS: We're hearing reports of stores selling out of Ben & Jerry's in Colorado. What's up with that? pic.twitter.com/zBs8nyxZWn
— Ben & Jerry's (@benandjerrys) January 2, 2014
Newsjacking explainer, by Alison Kenney, here.
Addendum (1/29/2014): More examples from this year’s Grammy’s here, by way of Digiday.
Addendum (8/19/2014): Oy!
Addendum (9/9/2014): This:
Addendum (12/30/2014): Annie Lowrey:
“Too often ... brands on Twitter are not on-trend. Brands on Twitter are your uncle posting out-of-focus selfies on Instagram with 13 hashtags, including #Sunday and #shorts. Brands on Twitter are your high-school science teacher comparing electrons to Zack Morris to try to get you to stay awake in fifth period. Brands on Twitter are your weird cousin talking during the movie when you’re just trying to watch, okay? Jesus, Freddie, do you always need to be the center of attention?”
Addendum (7/9/2015): This: